Fighting California Fires

The+Woolsey+Fire.
Back to Article
Back to Article

Fighting California Fires

The Woolsey Fire.

The Woolsey Fire.

Source: Forest Service, USDA

The Woolsey Fire.

Source: Forest Service, USDA

Source: Forest Service, USDA

The Woolsey Fire.

Caroline Kerns, 员工 Writer

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






In California, we are known for many things, some of the most prominent being beaches, earthquakes, and fires. Recently, many fires have been breaking out across California.

There are always fires occurring around the world and causing destruction. One example of the damage that fires can cause was the Cedar Fire in San Diego, CA. 2,820 structures were burned or destroyed, while 273,246 acres were set ablaze all together. This 2003 fire killed 15 people, including a firefighter. One of the survivors, Rudy Reyes, was burned over 70 percent of his body. Another famous fire was the Camp Fire in November 2018. This fire killed 86 people, mostly senior citizens. The inferno was in Butte, California, and burned 18,804 buildings, over 153,336 acres in total. 

“I think it’s pretty terrible that all the people had to evacuate, and all the animals had to too,” stated seventh-grader, Ellie Marshall. 

There are many different causes for fires, though the most frequent causes are unintentional, such as keeping the oven or heater on. Around 95% of fires the California Department of Forestry and Fire Protection responds to are caused 通过 humans. That leaves only 5% to natural causes. Some ways that humans start these fires include power lines and electrical equipment, sparks from vehicles, and cigarettes.

“The fires are a terrible tragedy that I know nothing of,” seventh-grader, Betty Tran admitted. 

500 Internal Server Error

Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error and was unable to complete your request. Either the server is overloaded or there is an error in the application.

In conclusion, Californians need to focus on fire prevention due to the significant damage fires continue to cause each year.